Sunday, 29 May 2022
- Race: P2, 64 laps
- Carlos finished second in the Monaco GP, where the time-limit was reached and thus the race distance was shortened to 64 laps instead of 78 as intended originally.
- Rain hit the track 15 minutes before the start, which caused a delay and two formation laps behind the Safety-Car to check the conditions of the track.
- Given that conditions were impossible, the cars returned to the pits as they waited for the weather to improve. The race started finally at 16:05 CEST behind the Safety-Car.
- Carlos kept his second place throughout the first stint on full-wet tyres and suggested to his team to switch directly to slick tyres, with no intermediate tyres in between.
- The Spaniard left the Pit-Lane still in second place and fought Sergio Pérez for the win in the final laps, but given how difficult overtaking is in Monaco he couldn’t make it.
“It was a tough race but overall I cannot be very disappointed. We took the right call to go from wet tyres to slicks but unfortunately a lapped car in my in-lap cost me too much time and we missed the opportunity to gain the lead. After my pit stop I rejoined right behind Perez and that was it. Overtaking here is extremely challenging and with some wet patches outside of the racing line it was even more difficult today. It is a tough one to digest, because the win was there for the taking, but I gave it all out there and we’ll comeback stronger as a team for the next double header”.
Azerbaijan GP, Baku City Circuit – 10-12 June 2022