Saturday, 28 August 2021
- Free Practice 3: P14, 2:00.749, 17 laps
- Qualifying: P13, 1:58.137, 15 laps
- The rain played an important role throughout the Qualifying session of the Belgian GP.
- Carlos started Q1 on Full-Wet tyres, but changed them for Intermediates after three laps because the track was improving. He made it through with a lap-time of 2:01.184.
- In Q2, the possibility of having rain at the closing stages of the session prompted the Ferrari driver to set his fastest lap (1’58”137) with three minutes still remaining in the clock.
- The forecasted rain didn’t fall and the track kept on improving, and therefore the Spaniard didn’t make it to Q3.
- The feeling at the wheel of the SF21 wasn’t the best today and Carlos will work together with his team to try and analyse how they can improve. He is set to start P12 given that Valtteri Bottas has a penalty.
"It has been a difficult weekend so far, specially today. It was kind of expected after the feeling of FP3. I’m not happy because I always enjoy driving in the wet, however the balance and the grip weren’t there today, we struggled to get the front temperatures up and we had no feeling under braking. We need to look into it. Also, today was about the timing of getting out on track at the right time with the right tyre. With rain coming and going so quickly it was very difficult to get it right and we might have lost a bit of lap time there too, but it’s always easier to say it with hindsight. Finally, I’m glad Lando walked away unharmed from that scary crash. Lets see what the weather brings tomorrow. We’ll do our best to score the highest result possible".
Sunday, 29 August 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (15:00 CEST)