Saturday, 5 June 2021
- Free Practice 3: P5, 1:43.006, 17 laps
- Qualifying: P5, 1:41.576, 18 laps
- Bittersweet P5 for Carlos Sainz in Qualifying for the Azerbaijan GP. His fastest lap in Q3 was cut short by a red flag.
- The Ferrari driver was already 1.5 tenths quicker than in his previous attempt at the end of the first sector, but then the car in front crashed, prompting the session to come to an end. Baffled by this accident, which happened just a few meters in front of him, Carlos also touched the wall.
- The Spaniard made it through Q1 (1:41.740) with a single set of Soft tyres, while in Q2 (1:41.576) he had enough with the lap-time he achieved on his first outing. He aborted the second stint due to another red flag.
“A very frustrating Qualifying for me again today. I am disappointed we couldn’t extract all the potential of the car due to the circumstances. I was improving my lap time on the last attempt when the Alpha Tauri crashed in front of me. I saw the smoke of the lock up but hoped he had continued. When I saw the crash it was too late and I ended up touching the wall. At these speeds, the outcome could have been much worse, but the car seems to be ok. On the positive side, our pace was strong, even more than what we expected before coming to Baku. Congrats to Charles for putting it on pole. Overall it’s a great result for the team. Now we’ll start preparing the race and I will do my absolute best to recover tomorrow".
Sunday, 6 June 2021
- Race: 16:00 hora local (14:00 CEST)