Sunday, 19 June 2022
- Race: P2, 70 laps
- Carlos took the fight for victory in Montreal up until the very last lap and finished less than a second away from his maiden Formula 1 win.
- The Ferrari driver took the lead of the race on Lap 9 and held it until Lap 20, when he pitted during a Virtual Safety-Car.
- The Spaniard left the pits in second place, 9.4 seconds behind Verstappen. In the following laps he closed the gap to 6.1 seconds.
- Carlos then climbed back to the lead when Max Verstappen performed his second pit-stop. He also stopped a few laps later during a Safety-Car period.
- The Spaniard attacked his rival tirelessly during the 16 laps that remained at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. He couldn’t win, but he did score his fifth podium of the season.
“Solid race and an intense battle with Max (Verstappen) to the line. The pace was very good during the entire race but unfortunately we lost the lead after the last safety car. From there, I gave it all to pass the Red Bull, but to overtake here you need a bit more than two or three extra tenths".
“Even though I’m disappointed for not getting the win, there are many positives to take from Canada. We were the fastest on track today and I felt much better in the car, being able to push constantly throughout the race. Now we need to build momentum and carry this feeling on to the next race. Next stop, Silverstone".
British GP, Silverstone – 1-3 July 2022