Saturday, 25 September 2021
- Free Practice 3: Cancelled
- Qualifying: P2, 1:42.510, 25 laps
- Carlos qualified second in Q3 at the Russian GP, which ultimately translates into his best performance so far in a Formula 1 Qualifying.
- The track was still wet at the start of Qualifying from the rain that had prompted the cancellation of Free Practice 3. The track then dried up slowly until the slick tyres appeared in the closing stages of Q3.
- The Ferrari driver made it through Q1 (1:47.924) comfortably. In Q2 (1:46.521), he made the cut by less than a tenth of a second because the track was improving rapidly, even though conditions were still for Intermediate tyres.
- In Q3, the Spaniard was one of the first drivers to switch to the Soft tyre. He warmed it up during two laps before putting a 1:42.510 that places him in the first row of the Starting Grid.
"It’s been a tough quali session but I’m proud how we managed the situation to end up putting a great lap together for P2. I like these tricky conditions and I really enjoyed that last attempt on the slicks. We were one of the first ones to cross the line and the wait until P2 was confirmed was tense, as the track was drying quickly! Front row for tomorrow is a good result, and I’m happy, but I would have preferred to keep pole!".
"Tomorrow it’s very likely to be dry and we had a decent pace yesterday. Graining on the front tyres will be challenging but I will give it all from the very first lap until the end. Congrats to Lando on his first pole! It’s good to start beside him".
Sunday, 26 September 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (14:00 CEST)